Le Petit Marche

Monday, March 5, 2012

Bugs...who eats bugs? And what do bugs eat?

This is an interesting topic selected by our esteemed ESN administrator.  So, I of course had to check things out.  As fascinating as bugs are and who they eat and who eats them, I found myself getting a little dizzy at all the words I kept coming across; like "mucus", "crushing", regurgitating", etc., and I certainly don't want you to get nauseous, so let's move on.

Everybody eats bugs, really!  Remember in 8th grade biology class the tray of crickets passed around and how deliciously crunchy they were?  Come on, you know you tried one, it was an adventure! And look at the crazy chefs who travel the world in search of weird food.  I love watching Anthony Bourdain, that guy will try anything!  I do admit to not wanting to eat skewers of perfectly shaped bugs that have been fried, deep fried, sauced, oiled or any other kind of preparation.  Ok, it's dead but still, put it in a sausage or something, please!!

We're all familiar with birds, lizards, little mammals and little kids eating bugs, it's natural for them!
Think of the bug population without these amazing little creatures.  And of course, bugs eat each other to help keep the population down, thank goodness!

And as far as what bugs eat, I stated one way above, but like many small (tiny) creatures, they nibble on leaves, pollen from flowers, fruit, stuff like that.  Not much different from humans when you think about it (and hey, there have been instances of cannabalism, think Alferd Packer of Colorado back in 1874) .

I have no bugs for sale, but I do have some cute items that would eat bugs if they weren't made out of crystal, glass or ceramic. This little crystal owl is one of my more whimsical items, look at those eyes!  Visit us at: Le Petit Marche

2 comments:

  1. I also thought of some of my items as bug eaters. You did a Very good job taking that slant.

    ReplyDelete