Le Petit Marche

Friday, June 1, 2012

Gospel Singing

Gospel singing is a unique Americana phenomena that goes back a long ways.  Brother Dennis L. Slaughter has a fascinating History of Gospel Music should you want to know more about it.  I love the energy of gospel music, the harmony of the voices.  Some songs are kind of sad like "Amazing Grace" and "Swing Low Sweet Chariot", and I can't find out for sure where the songs originated, but if not American, whether stolen or adopted they've been around at least since the slave trade times and are sung in churches everywhere even today.  If you want to know more about Gospel tunes, Eccentric Thrifter has this vintage book:  Check it out and all her other interesting items as well.






2 comments:

  1. Right On! Good choice for the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to sing & love to sing gospel music. I've often scrubbed at something while testing my own 'pipes.' Great post; thanks for highlighting my item!

    ReplyDelete